Sunday, July 29, 2012

Organizational Tool Post #3

For my second tool, I chose to try using an audio file.  I looked over the chapter on audio tools a few times, and it listed garage band as a choice for Mac users. But upon reflecting about the use of tools and choosing something appropriate for the job (why use a jack hammer when a drill will do?) I decided to try using the voice memo app on my iphone.  I wrote out a little welcome message for my soon to be class of third graders and then recorded it on my phone.  Of course it took a few tries to get it without a bunch of pauses and stumbles, but eventually I was satisfied enough.  I then emailed it to myself and downloaded it to my desk top.  I thought about the way I might use audio files in the classroom.  One idea is simply to use it as a fun way to communicate with my class and their parents.  I would send them a link to my website where they could play it.  I could also send it as an attachment in a group email. They could click on it and listen. For now, I just want to play with ideas which will allow me share audio files with my students and their parents.  When we do a readers theater, sing a song, or even read our written work during author share, I could record these and send them out to the parents or have a place where parents can go to listen to them. If you want to listen to my audio file, I posted it on edmodo.

1 comment:

  1. This is GREAT! And yes--why use a jackhammer when a drill will do? And if you had iPods available to your students, you could have them record things for various projects . . .

    ReplyDelete